New salad recipe today that we really liked (we are pesto-addict at home ^^), which is from the book “Pique nique chic” by Juliette Lalbaltry Marie Claire. The original recipe uses wheat but I confess that I’m not too fan, so I just replaced it with barley but bulgur or quinoa can also do very well!
Since there is no salad dressing, this salad recipe is ideal to take away without risking anywhere, and it is full of flavors and very summery. In short, I think I will do it very often during the summer, much like my pasta salad with pesto :)
Italian Barley Salad
A barley salad with pesto, mozzarella, tomato and artichokes.
- 100 g barley or wheat, bulgur, semolina, ...
- 150 g mozzarella
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 200 g artichoke hearts
FOR THE PESTO
- 40 g basil
- 30 g parmesan cheese grated
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 100 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cook the barley (or the wheat, bulgur, ...) as indicated on the package then let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the basil with a pinch of salt then add the parmesan and pine nuts and mix again. Add the garlic and olive oil and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Add the pesto to the barley, adjust the seasoning and mix well. Add the mozzarella beads, cherry tomatoes and artichoke hearts cut in half. Serve well fresh!