The greyness settled, temperatures drop … we forget the summer vegetables and fresh salads to plunges our spoons with pleasure in good winter comfort dishes ^^
In good Alsatian, there is a dish I particularly like and I have not even proposed you yet : baeckeoffe! Literally, the “baker’s oven” in Alsatian, because in time, the dish was taken to the bakery on Sundays by going to church to take advantage of the residual heat of the oven after baking bread to bake all the casserolesof the village! A rich and invigorating dish which was then reheated throughout the week ^^
Like all the dishes of this kind, it is important to do it in large quantities in a big pot and reheat leftovers the next day … in fact it’s even better reheated ^^
[col type=”half last”]
Use at least three different meats to your taste from pork, veal, lamb and beef. If you like it, you can also add pork feet, simply cut in half.
Like all traditional recipes, there are no one true recipe but a multitude of variants that vary from families and villages, I present here my usual recipe, slightly customized (yes, I put Sichuan pepper, no, it is not traditional Alsatian lol);)
[col type=”half last”]
[col type=”one-third last”]
- 3.3 lb of meat 1.5 kg, 3 meats to choose
- 3.3 lb potatoes 1.5 kg
- 1 large leek or 2 small
- 2 large carrots
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 bottle of white wine
- 1 bouquet garni (parsley thyme, bay)
- 1 Tbsp. juniper berries
- 1 tsp. Sichuan peppercorns
To close the pot
- 4 1/2 g cups flour 400
- 1 cl cup water 25
- Cut the meat into cubes of about 1 inch and place them in a bowl.
- Cut the leek into quarters lengthways, clean it well and then slice it into pieces. Peel the carrots and cut them into slices. Add the vegetables to the bowl.
- Salt, add the bouquet garni, juniper berries and peppercorns. Drizzle white wine, mix well then cover and marinate in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. Peel the onion, cut it in half and then chop finely. Mix the potatoes slices and onions, salt and pepper.
- Grease the pot and fill with 1/3 of the mixture of potatoes / onions. Using a slotted spoon, draw half the meat and vegetables and place them on top.
- Add half of the remaining potatoes mixture and the rest of meats and vegetables. Baste with marinade, making sure to remove the bouquet garni. Finish with a layer of potato.
- Mix flour and water to obtain an elastic dough. Form a roll and place it around the edge of your pot. Place the lid and seal with the dought.
- Bake for 3,5 to 4 hours at 350°F / 180 ° C, cold start.